To snack or not to snack, that is the question.
If you’re fighting hunger between meals or after an intense workout, a healthy snack is a food option that provides nutrition and is high in a combination of nutrients. When choosing a healthy snack, choose snacks that are a combination of macronutrients, such as healthy fats, lean proteins, and natural carbohydrates.
An appropriate calorie amount for healthy snacks is between 100-200 calories per serving. High-fiber snacks provide a range of health benefits as they can help you feel full and help to reduce your appetite for your next meal. In addition, snacks with 10 grams of sugar or less can satisfy your sweet tooth without leading to a sugar-filled crash. If you are looking for some snack suggestions, here are some healthy snack ideas to consider:
- Steamed Edamame: 189 calories, 15g carbs, 8 g fat, 17g protein (1 cup)
- Cheese and Fruit Kabob: 180 calories, 16g carbs, 9g fat, 8g protein (1 skewer)
- Banana Chips and Nut Butter: 210 calories, 16 g fat, 13 carbs, 6g protein (10 banana chips and 2 Tb)
- Fruit and Cottage Cheese or Greek Yogurt: 185-200 calories, 33g carbs, 9g fat, 16g protein (1 cup- 5 fresh berries)
- Veggies with Hummus: 150 calories, 19g carbs, 7g fat, 4g protein (1 cup)
- Cucumber, Pesto, and Turkey Roll-ups: 61g calories, 4g carbs, >3g fat, 4.8g protein (per roll-up)
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad: 195 calories,16g carbs, 2g fat, 28g protein (1/4 cup)
- Jerky: 50-150 calories, 2g carbs, 30g protein (10 slices)
- Pickles: 0-7 calories, 1g carbs, 0.2g protein, less than 0.1 g fat (1.3 oz)
- Olives: 115-145 calories, 6.3g carbs, 0.8g protein, 10.7g fat (10 olives)
- Roasted Chickpeas: 161.3 calories, 19.3g carbs, 4.2g protein, 7.7g fat. (3 ounce)
- Frozen yogurt: 114 calories, 17g carbs, 2.9g protein, 4g fat (1/2 cup)
- Frozen Grapes/ or Blueberries: 79 calories, 18.9g carbs, 0.7g protein, 1g fat (1 cup)
- Healthy Smoothie Bowl: 214 calories, 47.5 carbs, 2.8g protein, 2.5g protein (1.5 cup)
- Granola: 140 calories, 14g carbs (4g sugar), 3g protein (1/4 cups)
- Trail-mix: 131 calories, 13 g carbs, 3.9 g protein (1 ounce)
For more snack ideas or dietary advice, consult with a registered dietitian or any other health professional. Be sure to check out our blog for more healthy lifestyle content.
Be Well. Snack Healthy.
Sarah Wilcox MS RD LD